A collection of miscellaneous thoughts and whatnots.
I’m a Portland, Oregon based software engineer and leader passionate about building great engineering teams with a focus on autonomy and accountability. I’m currently employed at Nike as a Senior Engineering Manager where I work as part of the Nike Digital Platform Engineering organization. If you’ve used the Nike Run Club or Nike Training Club apps, your data is managed by the systems built by a team I helped lead. My team’s current focus is on building better capabilities to power our digital marketing and membership engagement as part of the Nike Communications Platform.
I’m also the host of the Nike Tech Talks, a highly successful series of events showcasing world class subject matter experts from across the industry, an internal evangelist for and organizer of our open-source program, and a champion of building a strong and healthy engineering culture.
At various times I have been:
- a software engineer, architect, and lead
- the founder and organizer of the now defunct PNWScala conference
- a conference speaker at OSCON (2010, 2015) & AWS re:invent 2016
- a user group founder & organizer, including DorkbotPDX, PDXScala, and various of others
- a presenter at a variety of user groups and internal company events
- a proofreader and reviewer for numerous technical books
I have more books than I know what to do with and not enough time to read them all. Which is how it should be. I adore dogs, especially my own, and I love watching movies and binging on great TV shows (mostly British) with my wife.