First Two Tech Reviews Just Got Published
A while back I agreed to do tech reviews for two Ruby books from O’Reilly. The first of these, Ajax on Rails by Scott Raymond, was just published a few weeks ago. It looks to be quite an excellent piece of work (of course, I know the tech reviewing was top notch ;~). I just received word that the second, Rails Cookbook by Rob Orsini, has been published, too.
Both look to be worth picking up.
well, sorta anyway. I did some more playing around with why’s modifications to mod_ruby and was able to throw together a quick test to show that in fact it should be quite possible to implement a SiteMesh-like system using Apache, mod_ruby (patched) and Hpricot. Here’s, in short, how I did it.
First, I downloaded Apache 2.0.59 since that’s close to the version we’re running on the server on which I’ll eventually be using this system (it’s actually 2.
SiteMesh in Ruby?
I’ve been working on setting up some servers for a project with which I’m involved (in all my infinite spare time). These servers are going to have a variety of web applications running (some of which will be third-party), but we (that is, me and the other guy ;~) would like to keep a somewhat consistent look & feel across the board.
Of course, the obvious solution is to just edit the templates provided with each application (assuming the have templates at all).
Patching Ruby 1.8.4 for Ubuntu on Opteron
Late last night while trying to get rails running on a server I was setting up, I ran into an odd error. Sadly, I failed to save the error message itself and my browser history has been woefully unhelpful in finding the google searches I did to track down the issue. However, I can recreate the sequence of steps I took to fix the problem.
First, though, let me give you the scenario.
Dorkbot, FOSCON/OSCON, Book Reviews and More
So, just a quick update to let everyone know why I’ve disappeared and have been unable to find even a few spare seconds to update the blog. I’ve been just a wee bit busy.
Last month I attended OSCON and helped put on FOSCON II. Both of which were awesome and exhausting. I met a lot of great people and learned about some interesting things. Hopefully I’ll find time to dig in a bit deeper on some of it.
A Return to Blogging
I’ve decided to give a new browser a spin and see how it handles things. As my last post may have indicated to you already, the browser in question is called Flock. It makes a claim towards being the browser for the web 2.0 world. Well, maybe not so specifically, but it integrates various web-services in an attempt to make the browsing experience a little more… well, just more. It’s hard to explain exactly what it brings to the table without simply listing it’s features and that’s just boring, so I’ll leave it to this fine review on ExtremeTech to do that for me.
New Direction for Effects Pedals?
I’ve long thought that it would be really slick to instrument some of my guitar effect pedals with a couple of PIC chips to add in some nice computer control capabilities. Being able to to control the volume, tone and sustain all in sync on a Big Muff pedal all while playing some whacked out Chrome-esque riffs would be truely sweet.
I’ve heard of other doing things similar to this on various DIY forums and such, but it looks like Guyatone is getting in on the game with some nice (though not cheap) commercial models.
Digging Deep Into Camping
For a while now I’ve been watching the development of Camping. I’m not sure anyone can really trace where or how Camping came about – I’m sure why won’t reveal the true history. It has to be an interesting story.
I’ve only played around with creating Camping applications a little bit, but I’ve found it’s quite intuitive and easy. The funny thing about this is that the source of Camping itself is quite the opposite in many ways.
100000 Years Old
In binary that is. Yes, today I turned 32 (making it easier for those of you not so inclined). Not much in the way of plans, but I’m taking a half day from work so that I can properly sit around and relax for a bit.
The Power of ActiveRecord and Strange Coincidences
Sorry for those of you coming here expecting non-technical posts, but I did start this thing for technical purposes, after all, and I figured it was about time to return to form.
Tonight I was working on a little side project I’m doing. I needed to pull a bunch of legacy data into a new table for event data. To make this work, I created a set of models that referenced the old tables, using the syntax ActiveRecord provides to override it’s default settings.